12 years in video production and having filmed in so many geographies and regions we have a good handle on some of the local and cultural sensitivities and considerations that this sort of on location filming requires:
We are aware of that some countries will require our crew to obtain VISAS and carnet’s for our kit. In pre-production we will always ask ourselves the following:
- Can our crew enter the country to film or do we require a local fixer/local crew?
- Do we need any special visas to film in the country?
- If so is it one that you obtain in the UK or on arrival or both?
- What are the financial requirements – deposits, bonds etc.
FILM / LOCATION PERMITS
On top of the VISAS we will also ask ourselves;
- Do we need a special filming permit or several locations permit?
- Do the filming rules of your filming permit require us to work with a local production company or fixer?
- Does the Creative require we film in or over nature reserves OR tourist OR sacred sites?
- If you do – how long per permit/ do we need a guide on site/ do we require the site to be empty of tourists?
PRODUCTION KIT ENTRY
We are aware of that some countries will require Carnets for kit entry (typically Middle-East). In pre-production we will always ask ourselves the following:
- Can we enter the country with a Carnet (allowing your equipment in)?
- If the country is not a carnet country what special licenses do we need?
- Can we enter the country with equipment at all or do you have to rent locally?
When renting locally, will this require us also to hire freelancers?
In beautiful locations there is obviously a bit temptation for drone filming, but there are some key questions that need answering beforehand
- Are we filming with a drone? If so can we bring a drone into the country?
- What are height restrictions and drone laws in the country?
- Can we hire a drone freelancer?
- If we can’t use a drone – can you use a helicopter?
- Do we need a special permit for both helicopter and drone?
MODELS / ACTORS
- Will we be able to bring models into the country? Can we use local models?
- Are we filming with child actors/models? If so what are the rules? How many hours/guardians/etc?